Level 1 Workshop | Chicago
AMIA, in partnership with The Film Foundation, offers two levels of training for projectionists and staff presenting 35mm film in theaters. There are two workshops offered in 2018 – Level One in Chicago, IL (August 28-30), and Level Two in Boston, MA (October 15-17).
This Level One Workshop, hosted by the Chicago Film Society, University of Chicago Film Studies Center, Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, and Music Box Theatre will focus on film preparation and archival projection as well as special stipulations for archival projection, and coordinating with lending institutions. First and foremost, the workshop will focus on avoiding film damage, and presenting film prints in the best possible manner. The workshop is aimed at those who have some 35mm projection experience and are looking to expand their knowledge and skills.
The three day workshop program will cover:
● Coordinating with Lending Institutions
● Archival Industry Standards, Guiding Principles & Best Practices
● Print Handling and Inspection for Archival Materials
● Identifying & Creating Cues, Best Practices
● Format Standards & Empirical Identification for Image
● Format Standards & Empirical Identification for Sound
● Variable-speed Principles & Operation
● Parcel Systems, Hazards, and Best Shipping Practices
● Splicing and Splicer Maintenance
● Advanced Projector Inspection and Routine Maintenance
● Alignment of Xenon Lamps for Archival Projection, Best Practices
● General troubleshooting of picture and sound systems
● Rewind bench maintenance and troubleshooting
● Showmanship and presentation
The first two days of instruction will take place at the Film Studies Center at the University of Chicago and the last day at the Music Box Theatre.
Before registering, Applicants are asked to complete a questionnaire to allow instructors to ensure workshop participants have the basic knowledge needed for the workshop. Once approved, Applicants will be sent registration information and will have 10 days to register for the workshop.
Workshop fee is $250.
THE WORKSHOP IS CURRENTLY SOLD OUT